Monday, August 8, 2011

Lame Blogger






I know I'm seriously lame because I haven't written anything in 3 months. And in the meantime, lots and lots of the house got built. First thing: the house is beautiful. Its shaping up to be exactly the house we hoped for. Much credit to Jude Dallaire, architect extraordinaire, who helped us make many good choices and also managed to turn our description of what we would love into a real live house that looks just like we hoped it would. Also, much credit to our builders, Cedar Mill Group and their subs, who are really doing a really high-quality job and staying right on target with their time projections without sacrificing craftsmanship. Also thanks too to Jeff's friends for helping build the deck. Okay, gushing aside. The walls are primed, the flooring is in - the tile choices are great (yes, we got small black and white tile, just not shiny) and the bamboo floors throughout our gorgeous. We are planning bedroom colors and accent walls and ....... lighting.

I thought lighting would be fun to pick out and buy. But, I forgot that I'm me. And I forgot the black crewneck sweater principal. You'd think I'd have learned by now, wouldn't you? What I'm really looking for is a track light that is perfect. Meaning perfect to me. And I want it to come in 2, 4, 6 and 8 feet - same style, and I want spots I can put on it at the intervals I want. I want the ones downstairs to match and look good everywhere we want a straight track. I kind of want a mix and match track salad bar. I want to pick the base I want, combine it with the track I want, and then add the pendants and spots I want. I'll figure it out, but its irritating. Ikea has some lights we all really like. And some that I like and I'm not sure Jeff will like, until, of course, I persuade him that I'm right. Unless he pulls a "white platform bed" on me. Sounds racier than it is. That is the name I'm giving the new phenomenon of me picking something out and liking it and showing it to Jeff and telling him where I want to put it and he likes it too. Then when I show it to him again, he looks at me like he's never seen it before and now he suddenly doesn't think he likes it. Like what just happened with the white platform bed. Now, I know I don't seem like a white platform bed kind of girl, but I'm thinking shades of gray in the bedroom with crisp white accents, including the bed. I think the trick may be to only show him things once. I won't be reintroducing the Lichtensteins on the bathroom wall until they're in the house, methinks. None of it is worth arguing about now anyway, as we will be living in boxes and sleeping bags until the insurance company decides to maybe fork over the money we need to buy furniture.

So, lighting is being purchased this week. And we seem to have largely resolved the great light switch debaucle of '11 (don't ask). And our slanty wall is fantastic. The kitchen is being delivered tomorrow. We picked a washer dryer that makes me actually want to do laundry. And if I never have to deal with purchasing a bathroom vanity or countertop again, it will be too soon, but really? We are so excited. I can't believe that we are moving in less than two months. I'm so ready for this whole year and this whole process to just be over. I think we all are.




No comments:

Post a Comment