Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homeless - literally.

The entire house is gone now. Zelda announced, as we drove by it tonight. "We just have a nub!" Which is true. Its foundation and porch steps and a floor, and nothing else. The whole house has been demolished, and most of the debris has been carted away in tractor trailer trucks. I don't have a picture at this point. I have to hand it to those demolition guys. They are basically living the dream of every five year old boy on the planet. They wreck stuff for a living. But they were professional, nice, and quick. Impressive. I don't think tomorrow's predicted snowstorm is the best pulling up floor weather. Once that happens, though, we will be the proud owners of a big hole in the ground.

Once again, while avoiding dippy references to new beginnings, I will say that I have been thinking. This process will have an end, and we will have this amazing house. And everyone will think its all finally over, the whole year (plus) of dealing with all of this and having this fire and its aftermath be the point around which we all seem to revolve. I'm not sure I'll ever feel like its really done though. I think this year is going to change everything, forever. In some ways, it will never be over. Not to be all down about it, I think a lot of the changes will make our lives better forever. And even if one day it is over, I don't think that will happen the day we move in. Or even the day months later when we can finally afford furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment