Thursday, April 7, 2011

Not Too Slabby

The slab got poured today. For those of you not as intimately familiar with construction lingo as I am, that means we have a concrete basement floor. A really thick one. I went and watched the cement mixer (my favorite construction machine!) turn and pour the cement down the shoot, into a thing that looks like a big cloth frosting funnel thing (can't remember what it's called - froster? cake icer?) drop a bunch of cement into what will eventually be our basement. I think its good that I went to see it. Its possibly the last time I'll voluntarily look at my basement for a full five minutes.

So here's something interesting, but possibly not news to anyone who knows me. I have no sense of direction, as anyone who's ever had to give me directions, get directions from me, drive with me, or tell me which room is the bathroom, already knows. But, even I didn't know how bad it was. Quite literally, I have been ENTIRELY LOST in my own basement for the last six years. At yesterday's "building meeting" I couldn't figure out what anyone was talking about when Jeff was talking to Dave (in charge of our building) about the basement. That's because for the last six years, I've been completely turned around. When I went down the stairs and got stuff out of our chest freezer (forcing me to regularly step about 3 feet into the basement), I knew that the stairs were in the house and not the barn, but I'd been picturing myself and the other things in the room in the barn. So, I thought my oil tank, for example, was in the back left corner of the barn basement, if you're facing the house. Actually, it was in the front right corner of the house basement if you're facing the house. In other words, 180 degrees from where I thought it was this whole time, no to mention in a totally different building, maybe fifty or more feet away.

To sum up, I get lost walking down a flight of stairs - my own stairs, in my own house. One day I'll tell you all the story of how the John McCain basement (the third basement in the house that will be entirely eliminated in this project) got its name. Just don't ask me to tell you where it was actually located.

I can't seem to get the slab pour video to upload. I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment